Archer C7 - Cannot Connect to WAN

Region : Greece
Model : Archer C7
Hardware Version : v2
Firmware Version : Archer C7_v2_140911
ISP : Cyta (Greece)
Hi all!
I got my Archer C7 to upgrade my SOHO LAN (wired and wireless) and eventually get rid of the cheap of the routing and wireless "capabilities" of the cheap ADSL2+ modem/router (ZTE ZXV10 H201L) supplied by my ISP. As per my ISP's instructions:

1. Called them to "return my their box (ZTE ZXV10 H201L) into bridge mode". I aksed them what is this "bridge mode" and they told me that this will put their box into a mode where (a) it will provide ADSL synchronization, (2) voice telephony and (3) give the ability to my router establish PPoE by entering into it my Internet userid/password.
  2. Then they asked me to connect my router's (Archer C7) WAN port to their box port "LAN 1" and in the WAN part of it select PPoE and give my userid/password.
    This is exactly what I did but on the Archer's WAN page I only get "Connecting..." without ever getting a WAN and therefore Internet connection. I the system log I noticed that the only ERROR I get is a line that states "PPP ERROR Timeout waiting for PADO packets" I really have no idea what that is :frowning:
    I'm pretty sure this is something that has to do with my ISP's configuration, either on their network or the configuration of their box itself. Unfortunately, they are not able to help me as the router is on my own part of the connection.
    When I connect my computer directly to the modem I do NOT have Internet access, which according to my ISP it is normal as their modem "has been put into bridged mode so that the connection is performed by the router. The modem is responsible for syncing the ADSL line but the authentication and connection should be performed by the router which comes after the modem". One thing they find interesting is that the router does not have anywhere that option to enter the correct VPN/VCI values. Their words not mine.
    What exactly does the error "PPP ERROR Timeout waiting for PADO packets" mean? Could you please help me a little more with this? Archer C7 is an expensive piece of hardware, offering a vast amount of capabilities and I don't really want to put it aside and live with the ZTE "crap" offered by my provider. There should be something needed to be setup either on the modem, the router or both but I have no idea what that is.
    Could anyone help? Thanks
    Dimitrios

First question about ISP is this typical ADSL provider? Do you have synchronization on the ZTE? Can you give us screen shot from ZTE status?

Hi and thanks for looking into this!
From as far as I known, they are a typical ADSL provider as far as the internet is cornered. Other than that they also provide a voice service and that the reason I did not drop their modem and get a new one as this would have eliminate voice calls for me.
I have attached some screenshots from the ZTE, those which I think will be useful. If you need any more I would be more that glad to provide. On a side note, though, I think the tech reps have confused the term "modem/router" with "router" and that's why they are wondering why Archer C7 does not have entries for VPN/VCI values.

Your C7 doesn't have those setting because this is typical WAN router (RJ45). You have to set WAN PPPoE and ener there your login and password. Connection between devices ZTE (LAN port) <-> TP-Link (WAN port)
I can see Bridge Connection in Status tab but I don't understand those IP addresses. Can you give me screen shot from internet settings on ZTE yet? Do you have internet access by ZTE now?

Your C7 doesn't have those setting because this is typical WAN router (RJ45). You have to set WAN PPPoE and ener there your login and password. Connection between devices ZTE (LAN port) <-> TP-Link (WAN port)
I can see Bridge Connection in Status tab but I don't understand those IP addresses. Can you give me screen shot from internet settings on ZTE yet? Do you have internet access by ZTE now?[/quote]
Hi!
Thanks again for your help here and sorry for the late reply. I have no internet access at any point, not even in the PC I wire-connect to the ZTE :frowning: Please see attached the screenshots all WAN Connections as they appear in the Status parts.
Thanks again
Dimitrios

You must connect by the PPPoE connection in your system (PC), you have to enter login and password from ISP. The same you have to do in WAN port (PPPoE).

Hi again!
Well, I think I have found something... I'm not sure if this is the correct way but at least it is working :slight_smile: As I was looking at the WAN Connection options, I noticed that the was a "PPoE pass-through" option, so I thought I would play with that. To make a long story short, I created a profile like the one in the screenshot. No user id, no password, no NAT, no autoconnect etc. By the time I saved that the Archer got an Internet IP!!!
I have no idea why this is working but I think I will call the ISP tech support and ask them
Thank so much for your time
Dimitrios

Do you have some positive results in your configuration?

As a matter of fact I have! After creating the above pass-thru connection everything seems to be working just fine. Like I said, I am not sure what this pass-thru option is or whether this is the right way of configuring things but at least it works. Thanks for checking on this!